May 25, 2012

Stenciled Shower Curtain Tutorial

Pin It Now!
In my last post I told you I would show you how to stencil fabric.  This was my first try at it and it turned out great. 

The top of my shower curtain is a white cotton waffle from Target.  I think it cost me $15.  I knew I wanted the shower curtain to be taller than the standard 72 inches.  I wanted it to hide the shower head.  Plus I think it adds a bit of drama to the bathroom for the curtain to hang higher.  I looked and looked for a navy printed fabric with a pure white background that I liked but never found one.  I had seen several bloggers use the new Martha Stewart craft paint and stencil sets at Michael's and decided to give it a try.  I chose this stencil pack from the Martha Stewart line at Michael's.  I also used the Martha Stewart craft paint in Deep Sea Satin and the Fabric Medium.    


The application was easy with these foam pouncers.  Do you like my paint pallet.  Yup, it is an upside down Frisbee!



I used a piece of white cotton duck for the fabric.  I went all cheap and bought a small piece.  That meant I had to piece the fabric together in the middle.  In hindsight, I wish I had purchased enough yardage to stretch across the whole length of the shower curtain.  It wouldn't have cost much more and would have looked better in the end.  Live and learn! 


I used an Elmer's glue stick on the back of the stencil to keep it in place while I stenciled the fabric. It worked surprisingly well. I didn't have any paint bleed under the stencil.

The only thing I don't like about the Martha Stewart stencils is that they have you line the stencil up with these white dashes that are printed on the stencil. After I was done stenciling one row, I couldn't see them through the paint. I had to keep wiping the stencil off with a paper towel in order to line it up.


After that I let is dry overnight, and then pressed it with a hot iron to set the paint. Easy peasy!  I hemmed up the bottom and side edges and attached it to the white shower curtain with a simple straight stitch.  All in all, I like the way it turned out.  It still makes me smile when I walk by the bathroom.
Jo



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment