April 13, 2012

Kids Bathroom Part 3 - Reveal

Pin It Now!

Hey there!  Today I am so excited to show you how my kid's bathroom turned out.  I absolutely love it.  I decided to frame in the mirror and incorporate it into the board and batten design.  I think it turned out great.  I also made the mirror the same as the doors in our house.  They all have a small piece of wood between the top board and the vertical sides too.  I think it ties it into the rest of the house and makes it look like it was always there. 



This side of the room was a major oops that ended up turning out for the best.  The chalkboard started out as a framed picture from Ikea.  It had a natural wood frame that wasn't going to work in here anymore.  I wanted to paint it white to match the woodwork in here.  The glass was glued to the picture frame, and while I was trying to remove it, it broke.  I felt so bad.  It was one of those moments that brought me back to childhood.  I truly felt that I was going to get in trouble.  Then I remembered that I was a grown up and therefore completely allowed to destroy my own stuff.  Yay!  After I broke it, I had to figure out what to do with it.  In the end I decided on a chalkboard.  It may seem funny to have one in the bathroom, but it has been great.  I am using it to teach the kiddos how to spell. 

The little sign under it came about after my daughter thought it would be funny to have a sign in the bathroom that said "all employees must wash their hands before returning to work".  My husband came up with "ALL CHILDREN MUST WASH THEIR HANDS BEFORE RETURNING TO PLAY".  Originally it was printed on the chalkboard, but I decided to make it permanent on a leftover 1X6.  I don't know if I will keep it on the ledge forever.  Honestly, I just haven't gotten around to putting a fastener on the back yet.
 

Here is the sink area again only from a different angle.  Sorry about the bad picture.  This bathroom has zero natural light (no windows) so it proved a bit tricky to photograph. 



The picture above the towel was taken by a local photographer and friend a year ago. I just love it. I found the frames at ROSS for $5.99 a pop.  You all probably don' t have to shop at Ross do you?  It is one of the best stores around here.  I know how sad that sounds.  Have I mentioned that I live in a small town? The frames have a shiny silver finish and add a bit of glam to the room.  I also love the little sand dollar.  It was a gift from my daughters 2nd grade teacher.  It adds a little beachy charm to the room.


The photos above the toilet are of the kiddos on the Oregon Coast last summer.  They are lovely reminders of a great family vacation.   

In this picture I am trying to show you the difference in texture between the wall and the area I skim coated.  It is hard to see in the picture, but the skim coated walls are really smooth and the contrast makes it look right.  Does that make sense?


Here is a photo of the shower curtain that I painted.  Yes you heard me right!  I'll show you how to do it in my next post.


I found this cool little tooth brush holder at Bed Bath and Beyond.  This bathroom also serves as the guest bath on the main floor, so it is nice to have everything tucked away.


Isn't it cool!


It perfectly matches the hooks and towel bar I bought for the bathroom.



Actually, this is supposed to be a toilet paper holder, but I don't think any one will ever know.


Can you keep a secret!  This bathroom revamp is full of mistakes.  I hate to admit it.  There are areas that make me want to cry when I look at them.  But, I have had several friends and family members in here and no one but me even notices them.  (I'll admit I haven't been pointing them out).  My point is that things don't have to be perfect to be beautiful.  So, if you are considering making a change in your home, don't be afraid to jump right in.  I hear from so many friends that they could never do something like this.  I think they could if they just tried.  Just Do It!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment