August 31, 2012

Hummus

Pin It Now!
Today I was craving me some hummus.  I love the hearty flavor of this bean dip on veggies, tortilla chips and especially with pita bread.  I admit to sometimes buying the hummus at Costco.  It is alright, but I think it leaves a bit of a chemical aftertaste in the mouth.  I much prefer to make it myself.  And, really it is so easy that their is no excuse...other than laziness.

I developed this recipes many years ago when we lived in Tempe, Arizona.  There was a restaurant there that made the best hummus.  We were way to poor to eat there as often as I wanted the hummus.  So one day I ordered their hummus to-go and took it home to replicate.  I tweaked the ingredients until I got it just right, or more likely "close enough".   This is still my go to hummus recipe. 

What you need:

1 can of garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
reserved liquid from the beans
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 clove fresh garlic
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp tahini
sea salt to taste

 
1. Drain beans and reserve liquid in a bowl.  Rinse beans under cold water to remove excess salt.
 
 
 2.  In a food processor or blender combine the beans, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and tahini.  Start blending and add enough reserved liquid until you get the consistency you desire.  I like my hummus to be a lot wetter than store bought.  I suggest adding the bean liquid one TBS at a time for better control.  I also like to press my garlic first so I don't get any big chunks in the final product.  Add salt to taste.  This will depend on the beans you buy and your personal pallet.


 

3.  Serve with your favorite veggies or pita bread (mine is whole wheat).


4. ENJOY!






 I hope you like it as much as I do.
 

Here is the recipe in an easy to copy format.
 
 
Ingredients
 
1 can of garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
reserved liquid from the beans
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 clove fresh garlic
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp tahini
sea salt to taste
 
In a blender or food processor combine garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, and enough reserved liquid to blend until smooth.  Salt to taste. 
 
Jo
 
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment