September 6, 2012

Napkin Holder and Silverware Caddy

Pin It Now!
A while back I saw this post at Shanty 2 Chic.  She turned a 1x4 furring strip and some Mason Jars into some darling planters for mother's day.  I took the idea and decided to create something else with it. 


What do you think?  I think it is such a cute way to display silverware.  When we have guests over we usually eat buffet style.  I like to have the utensils out where people can grab them. 
 
If you want to make one you will need to purchase a 1x4 furring strip.  Cut it to the following lengths.

3 1x4" boards cut to 12"
2 1x4" boards cut to 2.75"
(The instructions at Shanty 2 Chic say to cut the board to 2.5 inches, but that was too small for me.  I cut mine to 2.75")

I followed the instructions at Shanty 2 Chic to assemble the boards.  I under painted mine with brown craft paint.  I then added 2 coats of latex on top and distressed until I liked the way it looked.  I decided not to add the screen door pulls to mine.  I also used pint sized wide mouth jars.

 
While I was making the silverware caddy I thought it would be nice to have a napkin holder to match.  I used the same 1x4 furring strips, but you can see in the picture below that it is assembled slightly differently.  I cut my boards to fit the generic napkins I buy at my grocery store.  These may be a different size than the brand you buy, so if you plan to make one of these measure first.  I cut my board to the following lengths.
 
4 1x4" boards cut to 6.5"
2 1x4" boards cut to 8.5"

Take the two 8.5" boards and two of the 6.5" boards and make a box out of them on a level surface.  Use wood glue finishing nails to attach.  I used a nail gun for this, but a hammer and nails will work well too. 

Take the remaining 2 6.5" boards and attach them together.  I used a Kreg Jig to make the pocket holes to attach the two boards.  This will be the bottom of your napkin holder.  This should fit inside the box you made earlier.  Attach with wood glue and nails. 

Paint and distress as desired.



When the paint was dry I attached a piece of felt to the bottom of the napkin holder and silverware caddy.  This covers the exposed pocket holes on the bottom of the napkin holder and makes everything slide smoothly across the counter.  I used a piece of craft felt for this that I cut to size.  I simply glued them with my glue gun. 
 
 
 
Here they are again!  If you make one let me know.  I would love to see them! 


Jo

I'm linking up to

The Shabby Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment